Food for Families / Food for Seniors Program
Food for Families/Food for Seniors provides monthly nutritional food boxes seniors who are 60 years old or older and meet Federal Income Guidelines. Catholic Charities Food for Families/Food for Seniors is the sole agency of Louisiana’s Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) which works to improve the health of low-income elderly persons at least 60 years of age by supplementing their diets with nutritious USDA Foods.
Women, infants, and children who were certified and receiving CSFP benefits as of February 6, 2014 can continue to receive assistance until they are no longer eligible under the program rules in effect on February 6, 2014.
The program also educates clients about good nutrition by providing nutritional information that includes easy to make recipes using commodity foods, caloric intake, how to stretch food dollars and eat a healthy diet.
Serving the State of Louisiana
Food For Families/Food For Seniors currently holds food box distributions throughout all 64 Louisiana parishes, with more than 40 sites in Orleans and Jefferson parishes. We have more than 400 volunteer sites throughout the State of Louisiana where food is distributed each month. Our sites include senior living facilities, senior day care centers and community centers.
Our permanent distribution sites are:
- Our Lady Star of the Sea, 1927 St. Roch Ave, New Orleans, LA
- Distributions are held on Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 9:00AM – 2:00PM
- West Bank Commodity Center , 1245 First Avenue in Harvey , LA
- Distributions held on Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 9:00 AM – 2:00 PM, and Wednesday 12:00 PM – 5:00PM.
Please call toll free for serving dates and times and a site nearest you
Baton Rouge: 1-888-850-9099
Greater New Orleans: 1-800-522-3333
Our Food Boxes
All food packages contain high protein, nutrient dense foods, specially selected in order to ensure that clients receive proper nutrition each month. All foods are top-quality, purchased especially for our program. These foods are donated to Louisiana by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and are very similar to foods you would find in grocery stores. In many cases, CSFP foods come packed in the same boxes and bags as the popular brand-name foods found on grocery store shelves.
Senior citizens receive a food box each month containing the following:
- canned meat, either boneless chicken, beef, pork, tuna, or beef stew
- a box of breakfast cereal or a bag of grits, oatmeal, or farina (Cream of Wheat)
- a two-pound block of American cheese
- a two-pound package of either spaghetti, macaroni, or rice
- Ultra High Temperature Shelf Stable 1% Milk
- a 1.8-pound box of non-fat dry milk every other month
- a jar of peanut butter or a two-pound bag of dried beans
- fruit juice
Get more info on Information on Louisiana’s Commodity Supplemental Food Program
How do I qualify for this program? Get information on eligibility.
Ready to enroll? You can view, complete and/or print our Preliminary Certification application form.
Already enrolled? Get nutritional info and recipes for the foods in your food box!Back to top