ONGOING Opportunities for High School Students
Catholic Charities welcomes high school students who seek volunteer hours to complete their school service requirements. We will provide a letter confirming the number of hours and the site served to the student/school.
Opportunities are available for direct and indirect service. Group opportunities are also available for classes or service organizations.
We offer a regular volunteer opportunities for high school students:
ILSP Hope Chest Helpers: Sort and log in donations; Monday – Friday 9 AM – 5 PM, for 3-4 hour shifts. Please contact Melissa Jack or DeLaine Banks at (504) 340-5100. ILSP is located at 1101 Barataria Blvd, Marrero, LA.
SERVE (Students Engaging in Reflective Volunteer Experiences)
Catholic Charities and the Office of Religious Education offer a summer service camp, SERVE, or Students Engaging in Reflective Volunteer Experiences. SERVE is an opportunity for high school students to give back to the community and achieve the service hours required by many parochial high schools.
SERVE 2013 Statistics
We would like to thank the 115 High School Students from 23 local high schools who participated in SERVE 2013. SERVE volunteers volunteered 3,517 hours this summer. $38, 687 dollars is the value of these service hours. Volunteers served at Faith Bible Church Camp in Covington, Ozanam Inn, Good Shepherd Nativity Mission School, Head Starts, and Second Harvest Food Bank.
SERVE Volunteer Comments… “What was the best experience during your SERVE session?”:
• Spending time with the kids and helping them feel loved.
• Reflection Day was important because I found out what poverty really is.
• Being with the kids and seeing them have fun & smile and knowing I helped do that.
• Reflection Day helped me realize what really happens in business and how close poverty is to me.
• Meeting the homeless and putting smiles on their faces.
• Working with the kids, I was learning from them and not so much them learning from me.
• This program helped me grow emotionally and spiritually.
“Meeting the homeless…and putting smiles on their faces.”
“Being able to experience the joy in my heart when I served people their meals.”
“Being able to meet and build relationships with new people.”
“I especially enjoyed tutoring the kids.”
“Great Experience…I definitely want to do it again next summer.”
For more photos from Summer 2013 SERVE, check out our Facebook album.
Volunteer Services · (504) 310-6960 · email@example.com